Safety alerts are issued as needed to inform accredited rail transport operators and the broader rail industry of current and emerging safety issues.
- RSA-2015-01 Identification of asbestos gasket in coal wagon valves
19 January 2015
This Safety Alert states the ONRSR has been advised by Asciano of the idenfitication of an asbestos gasket in a valve on a Pacific National coal wagon.
- RSA-2014-03 Operational interfaces between Rail Infrastructure Managers and Rolling Stock Operators – mixed and dual gauge turnouts
20 August 2014
This safety alert states that due to the design of the wheel transfer area of some mixed and dual gauge turnouts, rolling stock with wheelsets of 127mm rim width are at higher risk of derailment than wheelsets of 140mm rim width.
- RSA-2014-02 Thermal spraying
3 April 2014
This Safety Alert states a major passenger operator recently suffered an axle failure on one of its electric multiple unit fleet.
- RSA-2014-01 Structural fatigue failure of wagon underframe
17 March 2014
This Safety Alert states a PQMY container flat wagon suffered a significant fatigue failure at a sectional change in the under-frame (ie. main longitudinal beams).
- RSA-2013-02 Coupling systems and brake systems fitted to infrastructure trolleys and trailers
18 November 2013
This Safety Alert states that Rail Transport Operators should examine all risks associated with using Road Rail Vehicles (RRV) to tow/push rolling stock.
- RSA-2013-01 Derailers - Failure to derail due to faulty design, installation, maintenance or operation
26 April 2013
This Safety Alert states that the Office of the National Rail Safety Regulator was recently notified of an incident in which rolling stock travelled over a derailer without derailing.
Safety bulletins are published by ONRSR periodically and are designed to focus on areas of rail safety concern. Bulletins provide detail on specific safety topics, share information between the regulator and the rail industry, and identify positive steps to enhance rail safety.
- Safety Bulletin: Labour hire and fatigue management – the pitfalls for operators
3 July 2017
Expectations of clear, agreed processes for the monitoring of fatigue between operators and their contractors and/or labour hire companies.
- Safety Bulletin: ONRSR Road Rail Vehicle National Project – Human Factors Observations
4 April 2017
Sets out ONRSR's road rail vehicle (RRV) human factors observations and analyses.
- Safety Bulletin: Preventing unbraked runaways of permanently coupled wagons with shared braking platforms
11 November 2014
The ONRSR is concerned about the risk of permanently coupled pairs of freight wagons, which share a braking system, becoming uncoupled and resulting in a runaway. Rail operators are expected to reassess the risk/s associated with permanently coupled wagons and consider additional measures to mitigate these risks.
- Safety Bulletin: An emerging issue: 'shattered rim' wheel defects
30 June 2014
Australian rail operators may need to review and revise risk registers to manage the hazards associated with ‘shattered rim’ following two recent incidents, which may be indicators of a larger safety issue for the industry.
- Safety Bulletin: Learning lessons from international rail incidents
5 March 2014
Investigation reports into rail accidents overseas can provide valuable lessons learned which, when applied, may reduce the risk of these incidents occurring in Australia.
- Safety Bulletin: Managing the risks associated with roadrail vehicles
28 August 2013
The ONRSR has been working closely with the rail industry to assist in the identification and management of risks associated with the operation of Road/Rail Vehicles (RRVs).